Shopping Bag
    Museo Nazionale Archeologico di Reggio Calabria
    TreccaniTreccani

    Museo Nazionale Archeologico di Reggio Calabria

    With the establishment of the autonomies created by the 2014 MiBACT Reform, the National Archaeological Museum of Reggio Calabria was recognised as one of the most prestigious archaeological museum institutes in Italy. The building that houses it was among the first in Italy to be designed for the exclusive purpose of museum exhibition. It was named after Marcello Piacentini, one of the greatest exponents of early twentieth century architecture, who conceived it in a modern key, after visiting the main museums of Europe. Located in the heart of the city, the Museum is an important element of the landscape and life of the people of Reggio. On one side it looks out onto the central Piazza De Nava, and on the other the seafront "I. Falcomatà ”, with a splendid view of the Strait of Messina. The National Archaeological Museum was created from the merger of the State Museum with the Civic Museum of Reggio Calabria, the latter inaugurated on 18 June 1882 to house the numerous archaeological finds from the area. Its headquarters were initially in the premises of the Municipal Library, but with the increase of its collections, between 1887 and 1889 it was moved to a building next to the Roman baths, which had just been discovered. During the 1908 earthquake, the building of the Civic Museum suffered extensive damage, thus accelerating the process of establishing a National Archaeological Museum, strongly desired, among others, by Paolo Orsi, appointed in 1907 as the first Superintendent of the Excavations of Calabria. On May 22, 1948, an agreement was stipulated between the Municipality of Reggio Calabria and the General Directorate of Antiquity of the then Ministry of Education. This established its transfer to the latter and the acquisition of the collections of the Civic Museum, which was thus suppressed. Partially opened to the public in 1954 and inaugurated in 1959, the Museum has undergone various major transformations over the years. In 1981, the underwater archaeology section was set up, to give adequate visibility to the Riace Bronzes, considered among the most significant masterpieces of Greek art in the world. Before the last reorganisation, which completely changed the internal layout and the exhibition path, the precious collection of paintings belonging to the Civic Museum was kept on the second floor, which can now be admired in the nearby Municipal Art Gallery. In November 2009, the Museum was closed for restoration and definitively reopened to the public on 30 April 2016. The main element of the current layout is the new internal courtyard, covered by a transparent glass ceiling, supported by a technologically advanced structure. Thanks to this technique, the atrium is flooded with light. The basement of Palazzo Piacentini houses two large rooms for temporary exhibitions; the long side corridor contains a lapidary collection. The MArRC also has an internal archaeological area: a strip of the large Hellenistic necropolis discovered during the construction of the building.


    There are possibilities for granting rooms and the Museum logo for institutional activities to be carried out in collaboration

    Application of the reduced tickets for admission to the Museum, for both permanent collections and temporary exhibitions

    10% discount for purchases made at the Museum bookshop.